Saturday, April 7, 2012

Balsamic Mushrooms

Balsamic Mushrooms - Delicious
Every so often Ingrid and I (OK often) head out sans kids to a cafe for most of the morning. Dizzengoff on Ponsonby Road has been a regular favourite for years, in fact I have been frequenting the place for nearly 10 years and that's pretty amazing for cafe culture.
They do strong coffee and the most amazing and addictive mushrooms (LOL). No matter what I order I always get a side of mushrooms. Re-creating this dish was actually pretty easy, I think I nailed it the second time.
Now if there is anyone from Dizzengoff reading this, I know you wont want to part with the recipe but please please please let me know if I am close...



What you need (recipe for one person - double for two)
About 12 button mushrooms per person
1-2 garlic cloves finely chopped
Olive oil for cooking mushrooms
1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar
50mls cream
Salt/pepper to taste

How to make
Add the oil, garlic and mushrooms to a frying pan and saute for a few minutes.
Add half the balsamic vinegar to the pan and turn up the heat so it bubbles and reduces, when its reduced quite a bit, add the rest of the vinegar. Keep it bubbling but don't let it reduce to nothing.
Take it off the heat and add the cream and salt/pepper.
Reduce the heat and cook until the cream is hot - you may want to reduce it a bit more.
Pour over crunchy ciabatta bread or serve as a side dish.

So good you could easily eat two...

7 comments:

  1. I used to go there when I lived in grey lynn which was 12 years ago !! goooooood coffee, love that its still going strong, on our last visit home we noticed SPQR and Cezanne are still there too, love that about nz. And will try the mushys looks like a nice easy dinner for our weekly toast night x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah pretty amazing to think that some places last the distance and other dont!!!
    Consistency and great food/coffee as well as slick service - easy formula BUT soooooo many get it wrong...
    Yip the mushrooms are easy, not too much cream and of course you could easily add some tomatoes and an egg or two.
    Its exactly what I ate for dinner last night!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's something I would def pick for brunch, looks yum. Hope to see you girls soon over brunch somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can vouch for YUM - really good mushrooms!!! Yes brunch sounds great - just gotta get baby number 2 out!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - I could eat this meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, those look soooo good. That's not a cafe I've ever been to, but definitely one I will have to check out next time I go to Auckland. In the meantime, my crystal ball tells me I will be making these on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that heavy whipping cream? And what is that measurment in cups?

    ReplyDelete