Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Candied Lemons


Candied lemons on baking paper 

Lemon ideas part three
Lemons or oranges done this way are really really addictive. They make a fantastic garnish on cakes/cupcakes and would even be cute as a garnish to lemon tea at a tea party. A  celebration ham topped with sliced oranges and lemons coated in a sweet whisky marmalade syrup/ golden syrup/brown sugar also works well.

You could even pack them into a preserving jar and keep them for when you need a sweet and sour sugar rush, I imagine they would last quite a while...

All you need to do is slice up the lemons, place on baking paper and add a teaspoon of sugar to each slice. Bake them in a moderate oven for around 20 minutes. Do keep checking them as they can go from soft to crispy pretty quickly.

I used my ones on a lemon and sour cream cake (below) with sour cream icing - delicious.


Lemon and sour cream cake with candied lemons and spring flowers 






4 comments:

  1. You should enter this in Sweet New Zealand :-)

    Info here http://alessandrazecchini.blogspot.co.nz/2012/09/sweet-new-zealand-for-september-calling.html

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love lemon this way. I have just been given a big bag of beaufuil bright lemons from a friends tree which I am going whip up a few things out of

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alessandra, I will enter the post for the cake rather than the lemons, I just need to post it! Mari and Alison they are addictive if you like a bit of sour with your sweet, sticky too!!! X

    ReplyDelete