Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Lemon Syrup

Lemons ideas part one...
Ingrid is away and I am in charge! She is sunning (fingers crossed) herself in the UK and Croatia whilst I am finally getting it together post baby. Its only taken 5 months to get my head around when my baby  sleeps, poops, eats and cries! Meanwhile our poor blog has been neglected...

I am getting the ball rolling with some spring ideas for using lemons.
I love "Roses lime cordial" and saw in my aunties fridge the other day a bottle of "posh" lemon cordial. I looked at the label and all it had in it was water, sugar and lemon juice. It came from a shop up the road from me so I popped in to get some but was horrified at the price $15.00 (It came in a beautiful bottle so that's probably what you are paying for) so with an abundance of lemons I decided to make my own.


What you need
1 1/2 cup lemon juice
1 cup water
1 cup white sugar

How to make
Bring to the boil and simmer until the liquid becomes syrupy. It will take about 20-30 minutes.


Other ideas for lemon syrup...
Drizzle over cakes and loaves
Mix with gin/vodka and lemonade
Mix with tonic water for a non alcoholic G+T
Pour over pancakes or piklets
Pour over vanilla ice-cream

     

5 comments:

  1. Perfect - my kids are always squeezing lemons trying to make their own lemon drinks. Now we can do it properly :) Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vic, It might give them a sugar rush though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! It's crazy how much some food products are marked up, especially when the ingredients probably cost about $.25 to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using this for cocktails would be super yummy =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Attempting this with limes...

    ReplyDelete